Monday, June 14, 2010

How To Acheive That Natural Look of the 1940's Era Cosmetics



The 40's look was all about being as natural as possible.  Even though it took alot of effort to pull it off, it was really worth it.  


Here are just a few of the Women that set the standards for beauty in Hollywood of the 1940's Era: clockwise starting from upper left: Ava Gardner, Barbara Stanwyck, Rosalind Russell, and last but by no means least the Beautiful Joan Crawford.

                                                                                                    
                                                                                                    



In my tutorial I do not include the false eyelashes that all ladies wore. Sorry ladies, but that's a skill you'll need to hone all on your lonesome. Besides they pull out your lashes.

By the way, they were human hair, so if you got them wet you lost the curl in your lashes. My Grandmother mentioned once how she actually curled her falsies to get them to look right after getting them wet, you pretty much use the same technique you do for your hair.

I used to wear fake lashes for years. I really don't enjoy pulling out my natural lashes with glue so I can become dependent on fake ones.  So I do not include falsies in this tutorial.  I'm not a fan of them anymore.


Also important to know, makeup artists of this era achieved an ephemeral glow to the complexion by applying a much darker foundation makeup then applying a very light face powder to this darker foundation. I thought this was fascinating. 


I don't enjoy the feel of the [era correct] heavy pancake makeup worn during this period so I will be using a mineral powder foundation. [I know all my talk about era correctness and I use modern day mineral powder! That pancake spackle just isn't pore friendly sorry gals.]


Click on the images below to enlarge then click on them again to supersize enough to read type.


Here's a list of very basic supplies any gal needs to be drop dead gorgeous:








For instructions to have an authentic vintage manicure look see my post here:  vintage-manicure-real-one


These vintage magazine articles were found at my absolute favorite site ever! beautyisathingofthepast.blogspot.com
She has spent days and days and days scanning her collection. Her blog is full of great historical information.










Don't forget to visit:






If any of you ladies know of pore friendly 'vintage' style pancake makeup please tell us about it in the comment section. I'll keep an eye out.
Thanks.


6 comments:

boldaslove said...

Thanks for the tips. I'd love to be more correct in my makeup. I just wanted to know, do you use the brown eyeshadow to darken your eyebrows as well?

Forties Fashions said...

Yes, the brown eyebrow pencil is too red, I prefer to wet my brush and rub it into the eyeshadow then paint it into my eyebrows, also do this for eyeliner. It's much easier than using the pencil. I don't like the soft creamy pencils they don't last as long and the harder pencils are too hard.

boldaslove said...

Thankyou very much. I guess i'm a little hesitant colouring my eyebrows, its not something i'm used to...

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased to see someone as enamored with this last time when women were women. Your beauty tips are clear and concise. I just finished cleaning out my red lipsticks and tomorrow is pin curl day.
I used to go to the Max Factor Museum (sadly,no more) so much the women there would keep an eye on my son until I came in from work just down the street. They had a whole room devoted to Rita Hayworth and how she evolved into "Gilda".
Pancake makeup does make the pores visible especially on dry skin. However, if you can find Panstick online, it makes your skin like, well, porcelain in texture.
Best eyebrow pencil (no red in it ) is Wet n Wild "Taupe". You can find cake mascara ( La Femme is the only one I have been able to locate) It really makes your lashes vavavoom,especially if you brush on light coating of face powder between coats.
Another hair tip is sugar water. It's what was used until hair lacquer came out. If you care for the recipe I will give it. It is a amazingly durable setting lotion and fabulous for finger waving.
Kudos to you for such an informative site.
"No nylons until victory".

Forties Fashions said...

Hi Cholla Queen! Yes I've read about sugar water, I like the whole idea of being able to make my own product. I'll keep an eye out for that 'taupe' pencil, thanks for the tips I appreciate it.
And boldaslove, if your hesitant about coloring your brows, less is best. That's my motto. The 40's makeup definitely [compared to other styles] was a 'less is more' kind of look. So try something as close to your natural coloring as possible and blend blend blend. Try to make sure you don't have any thick lines left in your brows, that's why I use my matte powder to color in then brush it through for a smooth finish.

Thanks for visiting Gals!

Tamara LeBlanc said...

I'm in love with this bog! So much info and sooo much fun.
About the makeup, don't know if you've ever heard of Dermablend. This is a makeup formulated to cover ruddiness, scars, freckles, etc. I haven't used it in years(I'm using the mineral powder foundations now) but this Dermablend definitely has a pancake constancy, but it doesn't clog pores and creates a really smooth finish.
Just a suggestion of course.
Keep up the fantastic work. I'm loving every minute of this blog!
Have a fabulous day,
Tamara